Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Four Presidents and a Buffalo

We had another amazing day. After a late start due to a few boys who needed to catch up on some rest we headed out for breakfast. You know you're getting a late start when the restaurant you walk to a hundred feet from your hotel is no longer serving food from the breakfast menu. After a hearty late morning meal we set off for Mount Rushmore, a mere three miles from our hotel. We walked the Presidents' Trail which offered great views from a variety of perspectives. Helpful plaques along the way gave great insight into the original concept, the design phase and the construction. After about an hour there we left for Custer State Park to search for wildlife. We stopped along the way beause some boulders forming an arch had fallen and we decided the Scout thing to do would be to put them back up

From the title of this post you can already guess the highlight of the day. We had seen a deer or two, and a donkey that had its head in a car eating snacks from children's hands, but the real attraction was just around the bend. One car length ahead of us walking down the road the same direction we were travelling was a huge buffalo. We got some great pictures from behind and as we passed the buffalo but apparently he did not appreciate having his photo taken. After we passed he took off after our car (or should I say the Stanton's bird attracting, buffalo inciting minivan) I sped up a bit and he kept coming. I got well out of range and stopped the car and got out and took a few more pictures. There were cries from inside the car for me to get back in which I promptly did. The only woman I heed more than Rebecca is Sherrill. I put a little more distance between us and the still sauntering buffalo and decided to take a few more pictures. I grabbed the camera and held it out the window aiming it behind the car. It was difficult to get the correct angle while steering so I asked Sherrill to take the wheel. I got the shock of my life when she did. She later indicated that she knew I was going to take the pictures with or without her help and helping to steer while I aimed the camera seemed the prudent thing to do. The second picture of the buffalo was taken this way. With the camera safely back in the car we zoomed ahead and on our way.

Our next stop was a visit to Crazy Horse, but the boys were wanting to keep the visit short and the admission price was 27 dollars. Now I know why they called him Crazy Horse. Sherrill clicked a few pictures as we joined a few other cars making a U-turn to head out of the park. We're off to dinner and Black Light Mini Golf in a bit.





















Total distance traveled: 2157 miles
Total police radar traps: Still stuck on 7
Tickets: Still 0 but I am parked illegally because we went out to a Black Light miniature golf course and when we returned there was no parking left at our hotel. The front desk says we're in the clear but the sign in the adjoining shopping center says we'll be towed. There is no alternative so I'm hoping for the best. My streak of never having a parking ticket is in jeopardy. My lifetime speeding ticket count is 1. (Martha's Vineyard during the summer of 1985)
Wildlife sightings today: all mentioned in blog

2 comments:

baltocards said...

Skip,

Sounds and looks like a fantastic trip. We actually saw a 10 buffalo last night up in Jacksonville at Barb's house, however, unlike yours, they were fenced in and we felt quite safe. Let's keep the ticket count at 0, remain safe, and I'll let the tech guys know you are treating your tablet with extreme care!!

Cheers,

Joe

mom said...

Awesome! The Crazy Horse monument is so expensive because it is all privately funded. No federal or state $ are used for its construction. I actualy attended a party there when I attended an ABA general Practice meeting in SD. Did you drive the Needles Highway? It was terrific!

Loved all the photos especially the buffalo ones. Have more fun. Sounds like a great trip. Love mom